It is the intention of this pledge to promote fair play and respect for all participants within Hockey Edmonton.All coaches, players, and parents must sign this pledge before being allowed to participate in hockey in the Edmonton Minor Hockey system and must continue to observe the principles of Fair Play.
- I will play hockey because I want to not because others or coaches want me to.
- I will play by the rules of hockey and in the spirit of the Game.
- I will control my temper – fighting or “mouthing-off’ can spoil the activity of everyone.
- I will respect my opponents.
- I will do my best to be a true team player.
- I will remember that winning isn’t everything – that having fun, improving skills, making friends and doing my best are also important.
- I will acknowledge all good plays and performances – those of my team and my opponents.
- 8. I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect.
- I will not force my child to participate in hockey.
- I will remember that my child plays hockey for his or her enjoyment, not mine.
- I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflict without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is as important as winning so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of the game.
- I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and hard.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a game.
- I will remember that children learn by example. I will applaud good plays and performances by both my child’s team and their opponents.
- I will never question the official’s judgment or honesty in public.
- I will support to remove verbal and physical abuse from children’s hockey games.
- I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteers who give their time to hockey for my child. I agree to abide by the principles of the FAIR PLAY CODE asset by Hockey Canada and supported by Hockey Edmonton. I also agree to abide by the rules, regulations and decisions as set by Hockey Edmonton.