Below are resources for KC coaches to help them better lead and support their teams. If you find any broken links or have suggestions for links to add please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
KC Coach Applications
Updated March 2021: We are now accepting coaching applications for the 2021/22 season for U11 Tier 1 and U13AA. The KC Hockey Club wants dedicated, knowledgeable, energetic coaches who are committed to developing skills and character in their players. We are looking to build a roster of top quality coaches at every level, so if you are interested in submitting an application, please email your 2021-2022 Coach application and/or Resume to email@example.com . Deadline for applications is April 7, 2021.
Hockey Skills and Training
- USA Hockey – They’re not as good as Canada at playing hockey, but their website definitely beats Hockey Canada for coaching info. Just a huge amount of info on technical skills, training and more.
- USA Hockey Goaltending – Drills and lots of other resources for goalies. In-dept articles about how to play the position and even practice plans for goalie sessions.
- Hockey Alberta – They have added a lot of training sessions and other opportunities to coaches to develop over the past few years, so it is definitely worth keeping an eye on their site for events and training opportunities. Also has full details on Hockey Alberta training programs, including the mandatory courses that are required for coaches.
- Hockey Training – Really good collections of articles about training for players to develop their conditioning and strength specifically for hockey.
- The Coaches Site – Some great articles on leadership and development specific to hockey, as well as a few good drills.
- How To Hockey – Huge collection of articles, videos and drills.
- Goalie Training and Skills – Mostly fitness but some technical articles specifically for goalies.
- In Goal Magazine – Lots of NHL and other goalie articles, but also a really good collection of technical articles about how to play the position.
- Hockey Share – Over 1,200 drills in a searchable database. There’s a drill for pretty much anything, but with this many drills there a few of them aren’t the greatest. Hockey Share also has a great tool for planning practices that can email practice plans to an entire team. (Some features have a fee.)
- Hockey Canada Drill Hub – About 650 drills but they’ve all been selected by Hockey Canada so the quality is really good. There’s also a few complete practice plans that give a pretty good idea of how to put together a solid practice.
- Weisstech Hockey – Not a huge number of drills, but they are fairly carefully picked so they’re good ones, including some very specialized ones for different situations.
- Ice Hockey Systems – A fairly big database that also has drills ranked by popularity and a big selection of practice plans for different levels.
- www.coach.ca – Coaching Association of Canada – An extensive collection of general coaching resources on topics like leadership, nutrition and motivation. Videos and articles, as well as opportunities to find out more about coaching development programs.
- www.albertasport.ca/coaching – National Coaching Certification Program is the the largest adult continuing education program in Canada. Get extensive coaching resources and find out about courses and learning programs available to coaches. The NCCP is designed & delivered in partnership with the government of Canada, provincial/territorial governments, and national/provincial/territorial sport organizations.
- Coach’s Toolbox – Huge collection of general sport coaching articles on pretty much any topic you can think of. Lots of good stuff for motivating players, building teams and developing leaders.