KC Hockey History

What was to become the Knights of Columbus Minor Hockey program started in 1952-53 when St. Alphonsus Parish brought together a group of Mite and Peewee boys to play Parish house league and exhibition games. In these early days, all minor hockey was sponsored by community leagues and the Knights of Columbus. AA hockey was sponsored by the Canadian, Edmonton, Maple Leaf and Southside Athletic Clubs. In the 1956-57 season, the Edmonton Athletic Club ceased operation and the Knights of Columbus took their place in the AA program.

Forty years later, that same structure exists and results in a situation that does not exist anywhere else in Canada. The Community Leagues sponsor BB hockey only, the Athletic Clubs sponsor only AA hockey, and the Knights of Columbus sponsor both. See Hockey Program Overview for more information.